Credit Union Law
We’re proud to connect with our Saskatchewan roots by offering expertise in the area of credit union law. OWZW currently provides legal services to numerous Saskatchewan credit unions as well as to Credit Union Central and Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation. We also offer advice and support to the credit union system through periodic seminars, Lending Information Bulletins (part of the Credit Union Lending Security Guide) and standardized deposit and lending documentation.
Our experienced credit union team members are Bob Waller, Vic Dietz, Pat Quaroni, Shelley Joyce, Greg Irvine, Christine Hansen-Chad and Lindsay Oliver who are further supported by members of our Business Law, Debtor/Creditor & Insolvency Law, Labour Law and Employment Law teams. We keep abreast of changes to all legislation relating to financing, secured transactions and debt collection as well as updates to The Credit Union Act and regulations, Privacy legislation and Money Laundering legislation.
We help credit unions with:
- Financing transactions
- Application for credit and approval process
- Advancement of funds
- Security assessment
- Preparation and registration of all necessary loan and security documentation
- Debt collection (including realization of security, foreclosure, receivership, bankruptcy)
- Policy development and staff training
- Development and implementation of business policies and strategies (operations, lending, loss prevention, collection)
- Harassment and anti-violence policies
- Strategic advice related to discipline, terminations with and without cause and severance
- Workplace reorganization
Our team regularly appears before Saskatchewan courts and statutory tribunals, and we’ve attended numerous mediation meetings. We’d be pleased to put this experience to work for your credit union.